Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My 10 Favorite Bass Gutarist ever!!! I told you it was coming

So I told you it was coming, and last night I saw one of the best shows I have seen in Years.. jonathan richmond who some of you may know as the guy playing the guitar in the tree during the Movie Something about Mary.. he was faboulous.. He only played to about 40 people in the M-shop but it was just perfect.. He even made Ashley laugh so hard she started to cry... what a great night.. BUT there was no bass players in site.. well besides #6 on the all time list but he was in the crowd instead of on stage.. OK turn up that bass on those shitty computer speaks, to the LIST already...

10. John Deacon- John Deacon's bass lines for Queen are some of the most recognisable bass melodies ever.. Shit Under pressure and Another One Bights the Dust are classics.. Not only did he play em he wrote em.. and mind you his Hair is always up for argument you cant deny his brillentness..
here is Under Pressure live in Budapest.. so amazing one of the greatest songs ever!


9. Bruce Thomas- was apart of the Attractions who were Elvis Costello's marvoulous band.. I love the way he turns Elvis's pop songs into these groovy little dancy rockers.. he also looks mighty good in a suite. Here I dont want to go to Chelsea


8. John Stirrant- Now Wilco has had over 10 members but only 2 have been in this amazing band from the start, Jeff Tweedy and #8 John Stirrant.. John got a great sence of melodey on the bass, and plays but electric and upright on the albums.. He also played in Uncle Tupalo, and aparently once had a fling with one of Ashley's friends.. so thats cool I love his voice and his constant presence in the band... Here is some live SKY BLUE SKY


7. Chuck Riany- Chuck was a session bass player who played on albums by everyone from Dusty Springfield, to Janis Joplin, to Michael Jackson. My favorite tune he played on his WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD by Louis Armstrong.. but today I share a good groove he had going with PEG by STEELY DAN


6. Joe Terry- Now I have been blessed to have Joe around for so many years, I commend Joe for being a better guitar player than I, but still taking the bull by the horn and wanting to be the Bass Player for the PCC and he just ran with it.. My favorite thing he has ever done is on the instrumental begining to Magic Circle Symphony.. it's just wonderful.. Today I give you Joe and I being butt Buddies to the song MAKE LOVE A STAR by the PCC...


5. John Entwistle- Oh boy a guy whos nickname is THUNDER FINGERS and the OX just sounds like a bass player.. John was the thing that held the chaos of the WHO together like glue.. He is the man who made is cool to stand stoic while playing thar 4 stringed guitar. Today I give you what it sounds like to ISOLATE Johns bass on the song WONT GET FOOLED AGAIN.. prepare to have mind blown!


4. Donald "Duck" Dunn- Oh boy a guy with the nickname Donald Duck probably does not strike you as someone who would be a killer bass player.. but he is # 4 on the list for the grooves he got as the STAX Records resident bass god.. He also played live with Otis and BOOKER T and the Mg's.. And he makes a cameo in Blues Brothers how cool is that. check out GREEN ONIONS by Booker T. which also features the #1 guitarist Steve Cropper before he looked like Steven Segul..


3. James Jamerson- Now most of you wont know who the hell this is but he is the Bass player on more hits then the Beatles and Elvis combined thats right.. he was the bass mastermind of MOTOWN Records.. dropping groovy licks for everyone from the Supreams, to Marvin Gaye, to the Jackson Five but his most famous one was probably the intro to MY GIRL by the Temptations.. But today I give you my favorite the bass line and song by the Jackson 5 I want you back.. get up from your computer and dance Now!


2. Carole Kaye- Oh my god while reasearching Carole I relalized she plays not only bass guitar but regular electric on so so so many of my all time favorites.. Her bass playing make most Brian Wilson and Phil Spector songs jump out of the stereo and into your soul.. seriously check out her wikipiedia page and just look at those tunes she plays on... man She did the bass on fucky boots are made for walking its so good.. here is a great little doc


1. Paul McCartney- shit you knew it was coming.. more than any of those other slouches from the British Invasion this guy was a guitar player first and took that to his bass playing.. and man did he come up with some incredible shit... I think it speaks for itself here is one of my favorite bass breakdowns by paul two minutes into this White ALbum jem!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Thanks for the list. I'm a little dissapointed I didn't make it-ha ha. Listening to these guys makes me want to pull out my bass. Would you give me lessons?